bbt'S bOYS DANCE & fITNESS PROGRAM
Brighton Ballet Theater /School Of Russian
American Ballet presents
Boys Dance and Fitness Program
A specially designed program for young dancers ages 8-18.
Sponsored in part
by the Brooklyn Community Foundation
Brighton Ballet Theater’s Boys Dance and Fitness Program was created
specifically to introduce young boys ages 8-18 to different forms of dance. In
its third year, this free program currently has a
total of 17 boys who have the opportunity to take unlimited classes. These
classes promote fitness and provide positive self-esteem and performance
* Ballet - Develop your ballet technique, strengthen
and point your feet, improve your balance and coordination.
* Character Dance - Learn how to dance character dance
combine strong dance technique with acting skills.
* Ballroom & Latin Dance - Partnering dance teaches
students grace, coordination, self-discipline and self-confidence as they
explore dances like salsa, tango, rumba and more as well as social skill
* Hip-Hop - Get ready to get up and move. Learn all of
the latest moves utilizing lots of dance technique.
* Break dance - Taking break-dance is a great way to
improve your fitness levels. This dance class will leave you with a feeling of
exhilaration resulting from a great workout.
Benefits of the boys program include:
- An understanding of how the arts shape the diverse
cultures in their society
- Actively engaging in and becoming more
knowledgeable about the arts
- Enhanced motivation and greater self-confidence
- Improved school attendance and reduced drop-out
- Decreased likelihood of substance abuse
- Exposure to a variety of careers related to the
- Fewer behavioral problems in school
- Better social skills (more cooperative attitude
with adults and peers)
The scholarships will be for a 12-month period and will include free
dance instruction as well as opportunities to spend weekend mornings with BBT
Artists. At the end of the year, BBT will showcase its scholarship dancers in
two-main stage productions. Brighton Ballet Theater’s Boys Dance and Fitness
Program is offered all year round.
Brighton Ballet Theater is attempting to address a major need in the
lower-income and immigrant neighborhoods of Brighton Beach, Sheepshead Bay, and
Coney Island; a lack of cultural and artistic programming for children ages
8-18. As part of its ongoing goal of providing a cultural oasis for the
community, BBT places a major emphasis on attracting and educating talented
children from disadvantaged families. Since many of these children lack
sufficient financial resources to complete a dance education, BBT often
subsidizes the cost of their education or even provides outright full-tuition
scholarships. Using this approach, BBT has been successful in supporting the
early dance careers of a number of talented children with partial or full dance
*This Free Program
is Sponsored by Generous
Support from the Brooklyn Community Foundation
Join Us at our Open House!
Register NOW for the FALL classes!